A family day care business can be both emotionally and financially rewarding based on the nature of the services provided. However, amidst increasing competition small to midsize family day care businesses that haven’t been around for a long time are struggling to stay afloat. One of the key things these businesses need to look at is their marketing strategy and branding. There are a number of different mediums that can be used to market your family day care business to local families. Here are some things to consider:
- People need to get to know about your family day care business and the expertise you have to cater to their needs. Use your child care documentation to display the range of different ativities that you provide and how these activities are aligned to the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and National Quality Standards (NQS).
- Have a family information brochure available for interviews which displays the types of activities provided as well as your certifications. This proves to families that you aren’t there to just babysit their children and that you have the training and expertise to meet their needs. Have a copy ready for them to take away as it will give them some food for thought and remind them what you provide when they compare your services to another family day care educator.
- Social media is a great way to promote your family day care and engage with families in and around your local area. Have a family day care business page on Facebook and other social networks or social media sites. Use the page to display images and videos of your environment and the service you provide. You can also use your EYLF templates to include links to the Early Years Learning Framework. This allows you to highlight the learning and development that you provide. Pininterest is also a popular medium for communications between mums. A call to action button can also be used to help the families wait list for your services.
- Car signage is a great way to get noticed around the local neighbourhood. Keep the signage simple with a reference to your phone number and your website if you have one. The less information available on the sign the better.
- Use promotional clothing to get noticed on outings and excursions.
- There are a number of Free Local Classified Pages that can assist you in marketing your business. These include Gumtree, Care for Kids, Hotfrog, Truelocal and Top4. Use these Local Classified Pages to bring more traffic to your website or social media page. Add images to display the types of ativities that you provide and be sure to have a strong call to action message. Care for Kids will also notify you of parents looking for care in the area and require a small fee for parent details.
- Get a banner from your family day care scheme to place outside your home. This is a great way to let locals know that you have vacancies available.
- Have an open day to display your environment and the activities that you provide to children. This open day can be advertised at your local library or playcentres.
- Tell your families that you have vacancies. People inevitably know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is looking for care.
- Make sure your scheme knows you have vacancies and follow-up with them if things seem a little quiet.
- Advertise vacancies on local social media groups or use paid advertising on Facebook or your local classifieds. Facebook advertising is a relatively cheap way to advertise your vacancies and your advertising can be targeted to a particular area.
- Have a flyer designed and hand these flyers out at playgroups or playcentres or place them in a local letterbox.
- Get a website and focus on optimising your SEO. There are many free website tools available such as Weebly and Wix. Ways to build your SEO presence on Google, Yahoo and Bing include blog writing about the services you provide. Profile your documentation in early childhood education and focus on building key words for the particular neighbourhood area you service. This will increase your chances of being discovered on Google and other search engines such as Yahoo and Bing.
- Create a free MailChimp account and send automated messages to families when they send an enquiry. This allows you to focus on the children however families receive the information they need to make a more informed decision before contacting you for an interview. I use MailChimp to automatically send parents a copy of my parent information brochure.
- Keep track of past enquiries and contact them when vacancies become available.
- Share your vacancies with other educators and help one another.
- Get families to write their testimonials on your Facebook and Local Classified Pages. Better yet – if you have your own website you can also publish their testimonials on there.
Marketing your family day care business and distinguishing your business from the crowd has never been more important. Dynamic Digital Solutions has the experience and expertise to assist you with any of the above services. Let us help you grow your business!